Working in Windows
Computers 101 for more basic information.
Also see our newsletter index
for a variety of miscellaneous subjects.
- Some information on various application issues, hints,
Blue Screen (of death) errors.
- BSOD's the computer world's joke that's not at all
- Windows backup and another slick way to back things up.
- A bit improved in Windows 7+
Clean it up
- How (and what) to clean up
- How to get to the command prompt
Compressing (Zipping) Files
- Reducing the size of large or multiple files to make
them emailable (Yep, we made up a new word)
Control Panel hints
- Where to find almost all information and settings
Cut, Copy Paste
Default Save in
- How to change where your stuff goes when saving
- Defrag since Windows 7, defragging the disk
is not nearly as beneficial as under previous operating systems,
but if you want to anyway, you need to (locate) then
the computer's C: drive > Properties > Tools
- Windows has these built in diagnostic tools that may
help with odd problems
Dos and Don'ts
- Hints/ideas for your computer
- How to show/hide file extensions
- At Microsoft: A wide variety of quick fixes for a
wide variety of common issues, many just a click of a button
- When your computer does not know what program to use
with a specific file, i.e., the "chose a program" option
- When you want to share folders with other computers on
High CPU usage
How to capture the screen
- When you want a "copy" of what you see on-screen
Icons added Sept '14
- Want to change the appearance of icons?
Print the list of files in a folder
- Print the contents of any given folder
- Printer Slow?
- Could be lost of causes, but try this...
Problem solving / Performance Issues
- Try Microsoft's SysInternals suite
- (A.K.A. Hotkeys) Similar to shortcut keys, quick keys
can make computing a whole lot quicker and easier!
- Or "Frequently" used list are very handy for documents
or files that you may open on a regular basis...
Restarting in the Safe Mode
Running out of disk space?
Selecting multiple files
- How to select all or just specific files
right click and Send To is a slick feature but this
makes it even better!
- System File Check. Run this when having odd
Shortcuts, Icons, Oh My!
- What they are, how to make use of them.
- Add a combination of keys to open applications, e.g.,
Ctl+Shift+C to open the calculator
- How to view/sort files by name, date, etc.
Show Extensions and Hidden files
- How to see those hidden file and see file extensions
- Taskbar settings:
Most Recent and
- USB means universal but maybe not so much...
Windows 8 quick keys
- Computer won't wake via the mouse or other wake
issues? Set what happens when you press the computer's power
button. When the computer decides to sleep after just a few minutes,
- A list of things you can do via the run command.
May just make things a bit quicker!
Windows Media Player
- If you were unfortunate enough to have used the Windows
Media Player (WMP) rather than iTunes for music and have
moved to a new computer, you may find the WMP license is not
installed. If you attempt to play "protected" music you may
get a license error and if you attempt to correct it, you
may get an error page indicating you need the Internet
Explorer 7 or later - even though you have IE11! - Nice