You need to be aware of the difference between a web based email system and a local email client (application). Web based email simply uses an Internet browser to access email instead of using an application installed on your computer such as Outlook, Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, etc.
Email issues in general are becoming more problematic these days and with no resolve insight... See our Oct '13 newsletter.
There are two basic type of email protocols, POP and IMAP. When setting up email you should probably know the difference as both offer something the other does not. More information on the difference here.
- Bounced email problems? See our September 14 and October 14 newsletters.
- Attachment vs. Link
- Pop vs. Imap and other information
Archive your old Outlook information
- Relating to maximum size issue, here's how you can avoid some problems...
- If you suspect your account was hijacked or compromised and hints on creating a secure password.
Importing Windows Live mail
- Unbelievable Microsoft doesn't really have a way to do this
Junk mail settings
- How to add an entire domain as junk...
email message shortcut - Slick!
- Quickly create a new email message
- Accounting settings, folders, rules and other helpful information
- How to use signatures, templates, quick parts and others.
- Adjust the maximum size your Outlook data files can be...
Outlook data file repair
- If the PST file becomes corrupt...
Outlook send and receive interval
- By default Outlook may wait 30 minutes between tries
Outlook email links no longer work
- Clicking a link from an email does nothing or gives you an error
- Make Outlook backup and fixes for minor issues
sent attachments appear at sender as winmail.dat
- Strange issue affecting newer versions of Outlook. The link brings you to a Microsoft article where you need to click the Fix It button then follow the prompts.
- When you have multiple devices checking email, you may experience temporary account locking.
- Web based email (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.) See these:
- Using a local application like Outlook or Thunderbird for Gmail or Outlook.com.
5 hacks for getting more out of Gmail, see this PCWorld article.
Tell Windows what your default email should be, see this PCWorld article.
- Two step verification (very good idea to do!)
- Windows Live Mail problem in Windows 10
Using the 10-digit phone number (no spaces, dashes or other characters), you can send text messages to various cell phones assuming you know the carrier...
- T-Mobile: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Virgin Mobile: email@example.com
- Cingular: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sprint: email@example.com
- Verizon: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nextel: email@example.com
Subject lines are ignored and you are (still) limited to the 160 characters so be sure to remove any "signature" lines, images, etc...